Wrest Park's formal gardens are celebrated because it is rare for a formal early 18th-Century garden to survive. The layout of wooded walks and canals, centred on the architectural highlight of the pavilion was designed by Thomas Archer in 1709-11.
Later, garden buildings such as the Bath house and the Chinese Pavilion, were added. The Orangery, Italian Garden and Parterre with magnificent lead statues date from the 1830s.
Public access to the house at Wrest park in Bedfordshire is limited at present. Dogs are allowed on leads.
The toilets aren't adapted to wheelchair users. Access to house: There are steps at the entrance, but an alternative level entrance is available to the garden. Access to the grounds is via mainly gravel paths and smooth grass. There are steps or a steep slope to the Orangery and steep steps to the Pavilion. There is a ramp to access the Bowling Green House.
Visually Impaired Visitors: Many garden ornaments and sculptures may be touched. There are also many trees and wild flowers.
Hearing Impaired Visitors: Transcript of audio tour available
Address and contact details:
Road Access: 3/4 mile E of Silsoe off A6
Opening hours:1 Jul-31 Aug 10am-6pm Mon, Thu, Fri, Sat, & Sun.
1-30 Sep 10am-6pm Sat, & Sun.
1- Oct, -1Nov 10am-5pm Sat, & Sun.
The house may close for events & the gardens may also close early.